Ria's Collection: GARLIC, ONION & POPPY SEED CRACKERS

Friday, November 15, 2013

GARLIC, ONION & POPPY SEED CRACKERS

Garlic, Onion & Poppy Seed Crackers
Iam a Daring Baker for the past 4 and a half years. And I have to admit that I have not been an active member for the past two. Even though I drool over every single challenge I quite didn't want to be challenged off of the time spent with Ian, which was what that kept me away from participating for the past months. I regret it every month,especially when the round up is posted. What creativity! What camaraderie! I am proud to be a part of it and I've baked so many things because of the group...Strudels,Cheesecakes,Bakewell Tart,Yeasted Meringue Coffee Cakes,Milano Cookies, Croquembouche,My Fair Lady Pudding...so so many stuff!
Garlic, Onion & Poppy Seed Crackers
This wonderful group was started by two ladies, Lis & Ivonne. Lis passed away a few days ago due to a heart attack. It shocked the Daring Baker's world. Having interacted with her in the past, when Jamie and myself hosted a challenge, I got to know Lis better. She was a lady with a big heart, ever ready to help.She will be missed.
Garlic, Onion & Poppy Seed Crackers
So we all got together and decided to do a tribute for Lis. A post on our food blogs or a post on Facebook/ Twitter/Instagram or maybe all of it! Some of them are planning to do a Pretzel post, which was the first post of the Daring Bakers,many many years ago. I decided to pull out one challenge from the many that I've missed participating in.There were so so many to chose but I am so pressed for time, this time, because we are travelling tonight.So in between all the packing & cooking for my Little Man,I did this. Trust me, it was a challenge pulling this off. My oven was working day and night. Cookies, cakes,crakers,breads...everything was popping in and out of it one after another.But I was determined to do it for Lis.
Garlic, Onion & Poppy Seed Crackers
This cracker is fantabulous. Are you an Onion lover? Do you find yourself picking up Sour Cream & Onion flavoured potato chips? Do you find yourself digging into that Caramelised Onion Dip? Do you? I do. I have to admit I love anything with onion in it and if there's some garlic too...I would be in paradise! I love the flavour and colour of red onions over all others but this time around I didn't have any so used the regular fat yellow onions that I had in my pantry.This recipe is from 'Menus from an Orchard Table'by Heidi Noble featured on Sarah's blog.

GARLIC, ONION & POPPY SEED CRACKERS
Garlic, Onion & Poppy Seed Crackers Makes about 6 dozen

Ingredients:
1 cup pureed onion
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method:
Blend the pureed onion,egg and oil to form a homogenous mixture. In a medium bowl, mix together rest of the ingredients and make a well in the centre. Pour the wet mixture into it and slowly stir to form a dough. Wrap and chill the dough for one hour. Roll it out paper thin in between two parchment sheets.Cut them into desired shapes and bake until evenly golden.It can take anywhere between 5-20 minutes at 350F depending on the thickness.It they are thicker,it will puff up like pitas. Cool completely before storing it.

Ian Vaava totally loved this! He was munching on one and he had another one ready in his other little hand.He loved dipping it into theCaramelised Onion dip I made to go along with the crackers. I also served it to our friends and Jobin and everyone had the same opinion...the crackers and dip is awesome!

6 Comments:

kellypea said...

Thank you for this tribute to Lis, Ria, The crackers sound delicious as does the dip. Safe travels.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The blogging community has lost a very special lady. We all learned so much with a sense of style, humility and humour,and ALWAYS laughter and fun. Some of us may no longer be Daring Bakers but we are still those fledgling bloggers in spirit who rose to every challenge at "dawns crack". Thank you Lis. I remember making crackers way back when for a challenge.

Andrea Meyers said...

Ria, thanks so much for sharing your memories of Lis. The crackers look beautiful, and I'm sure Lis would love them!

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day and a lovely tribute today true!
Great photo!
It is bittersweet to read all of these wonderful tributes to Lis, shared one and feel glad and sad through each one!
Cheers! Joanne
http://www.whatsonthelist.net

AKshara said...

Hi Ria,
I am gonna try this out this weekend.. It would be great if you could share the recipe for the dip too

AKshara said...

Hi Ria,

I am gonna try this one over the weekend. Was wondering if you could share the dip recipe too.

Thanks
Akshara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...